Well, we started a new therapy. I hadn't heard of it until I spoke with another adoptive mom who had done this therapy with her adopted son.
It's quite intensive, but it seems to be making a difference in Jacob's behavior. We've been doing it for two weeks now and the first week he was a WRECK! But after one particularly intense meltdown then a 3 hr. nap, he's been doing better.
I have him crawl on his tummy, we do tactile therapy, (similar to brushing in OT) we do what I call spinning therapy or vestibular movements..there's more but they are even harder to explain.
If we complete them all it takes at least 2 hours. But for the first time, he sat fairly still in public for about 45 minutes. I couldn't believe it. He never stops moving, but he rested on my lap or on the blanket watching the "Reptile Man" at the library :)
I am cautiously optimistic...I figure crawling, spinning and new textures can't hurt him..so we're going for it.
If I were more energetic I'd attach an article or something to describe it all, but I don't know if anyone cares to read it... but if you do, here is the therapists website www.susansbrain.com
It does make me think that there are many adults walking around today who didn't get enough tummy time to make all the necessary connections in the brain and their inappropriate behavior is truly biological, not just stupidity..
It sure is teaching me to be less judgemental.
No comments:
Post a Comment